Sailing / Yacht Club
The St Denys Sailing and Rowing Club is situated on Priory Avenue just above Cobden Bridge. It was founded in May 1889, when St Denys was a village standing in the fields alongside the tidal River Itchen. Canon Hoskins - Vicar of St. Denys - opened St Denys Rowing Club as a way of keeping local youths occupied. The club flourished and eventually owned a fleet of vessels, playing host to trips as adventurous as the Isle of Wight. Today the club aims to maintain the ethos of the founders by making boating of all types accesible to everyone. The Club today owns a range of boats which would astonish the original founders, all of which are available for use to current members.