Sailing / Yacht Club
The Club was formed in 1949, its first club house was a long wooden building at Pillory Gate in Strand Street. In 1962, the Club was told that it was doubtful that the lease could be renewed and a search for new premises began. The then Sandwich Town Council were considering using the old RAF hospital at Stonar as a potential youth club, but it was decided it was too far out of town. Mr Bill Barlow, a town Councillor and architect, offered the building to the Club for two thousand, five hundred pounds.
Great Stonar Sandwich