Sailing / Yacht Club
The Yacht Club, as the Squadron was first known, was founded at the Thatched House Tavern in St James’s, London, on the 1st of June 1815. The qualification entitling a gentleman to become a member was the ownership of a vessel not under 10 tons. Today this is interpreted as a gentleman “actively interested in yachting”. A plain white burgee graced the masthead of members’ yachts, they also wore a plain white ensign with the union in the canton.
Isle of Wight