Sailing / Yacht Club
It is not known when Bantry Bay Sailing Club was founded, but it is thought to have been in the late 19th Century. The club was active during the 1920’s and ‘30’s but lapsed during the Second World War, probably in 1946, but has been continuously active ever since. The club was always based near the Abbey area due to the location of the sheltered mooring (inside the Abbey Point), the availability of the Bantry House slipway (known then as Curleys/Cons Slip) and convenience to the town. There was no clubhouse until about 1970, when a prefabricated wooden structure was obtained from Whiddy Island after the terminal construction work.