Sailing / Yacht Club
On 22nd November 1946 a group of boating enthusiasts who kept their boats on the shore at Portsbridge decided to get together and form a sailing club. It was proposed by Mr Herring and seconded by Mr Kemp that the club be formed. This was carried unanimously and called the “Portsbridge Cruising Club” and so our Club was born. The membership fee was set at 2/6 for full members 1/- for ladies and under 18s. The burgee for the club was designed using the shape of “Portsbridge “ which was the bridge that spanned the water between Portsea Island and the Mainland. We still use that same design. In 1963 the first rumblings of a possible move were heard and the search for a new site was on. Finally a site was identified at Tipner (our present site) and after much negotiation and a great deal of work by Mr Les Morrell we secured the site. The club was given notice to quit the Portsbridge site and we finally moved to our present site in 1966/7.