Sailing / Yacht Club
The club was established as the Corinthian Sailing Club in 1894, by a group of sailing enthusiasts who launched their boats from Bell Steps, beside the Black Lion pub and close to the Hammersmith and Chiswick border. In the early years the members were all men and used to meet at each other’s homes to discuss sailing matters and racing. It was then discovered that a new member owned a pub closer to the City and meetings were promptly convened there instead. According to club records it appears that alcohol and sailing are constant companions throughout the club’s 100+ years of life!
60 Upper Mall