Sailing / Yacht Club
Delph reservoir was completed in 1924, to provide a 78 acre source of water for domestic/industrial use (after purification!) and to supply extra, cleaner water to improve the River Irwell via Delph Brook. The Sailing Club was founded in 1962, when permission to sail on the water was granted. The Club started modestly with two preferred classes – Fireballs and Enterprises, using a wooden garage as the Clubhouse. This building still exists as storage, known as the Bosun’s Hut. There was no electricity, and lighting was bottled gas. A garden shed on stilts served as the race starting box.