Sailing / Yacht Club
Dartmouth Yacht Club is situated on the South Embankment overlooking the river with Kingswear opposite and a view to the open sea through the harbour mouth, which is guarded by the Castle and St.Petrox Church. Although the Church’s foundation predates the Norman Conquest, the first castle was not built until 1388 by Mayor John Hauley (Chaucer’s model for the “Shipmanne of Dertemouth” in his Canterbury Tales, Chaucer having been sent to Dartmouth by the King to sort out a little matter of piracy!). The present castle was probably completed in 1403 and was inhabited until quite recently – just prior to it being handed over to English Heritage.
22 South Embankment